Monday, January 3, 2011

Homework Hell

Does a 1st grader really need 2 hours worth of homework every night? I do realize it is important for kids to develop good study habits early on. I can understand the value in reading, practicing writing, reviewing simple math and having weekly sight words, but all in one evening and every night?

I don't remember doing homework until I was in middle school and I turned out allr... ok, never mind.

4 comments:

  1. I know. I still think it is crazy. They told me it would get better but it is still 2 hrs every night. So they go to school all day and do homework all night when do they get to play anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it feels like a little much. I wonder how kids have time to do much more than homework. Somedays that's all we get done. And Logan's only in 2nd grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I'm not in elementary school now, because all of the homework would just do me in! We really had it good back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homework in elementary school, in my humble opinion, is b.s. I have heard the whole developing study habits early on bit, but really, our kids are in school 6.5 - 7 hours a day, that's nearly a full workday. We should be teaching our children to play, to relax, because lord knows enough adults don't know how to leave work at work and just enjoy time with their families. I am a huge advocate for no homework and if they do get homework, let it be what they didn't finish in class - that's how it is here in Michigan and it makes a lot more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete