met·a·phor
[met-uh-fawr, -fer]1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in "A mighty fortress is our God."
2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol
This afternoon as I was watching the robins in our garage I had the following thought:
Momma has been feeding, warming and loving the babies for a while now. Soon, she will throw them out of their nest and into the cruel, cruel world. They will have to learn to fend for themselves, learn how to survive and not get eaten by predators.
Around the same time, possibly the same day and instance, my daughter Jill will graduate from high school. Mmmm...
Then another thought occurred to me:
I am totally ok with momma bird doing this and Jill has been concerned and wanting to put a net under the nest to catch the birds from falling and breaking their necks. Mmmm...
əˌfɔr
ahhhh.. she's so sweet. We were eating goldfish for snacks the other day and I told the kids how Dax and Jaces' sister used to hate eating the ones with smiles.
ReplyDelete