Nanny
I moved out of my parent's house when I was 15 and went to live with a lady named Estelle. She had a couple of kids, Shelly (7) and Tyler (3), that I watched for her while she worked at night. She usually left for work around 6 pm and returned home well after 2 am. I was responsible to watch her kids in the evening (feed, help with homework, bathe) and then get up before I went to school/work and get them ready for and off to daycare and school themselves. Estelle was under the impression that I had my driver's license, so I was given the car (when she wasn't at work), a room downstairs, food and a monthly "salary" in trade for raising her kids. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal. I did this for year or so. During this time, I also worked at The Bay, Dapper Dan and George E. Failing. I was pretty busy but I don't remember being very stressed out. I guess you just handle things better when you are a teenager...
Sears Optical, Optician (3 yrs)
I don't have any idea what got me in the optical field. I don't remember interviewing or anything or why they would hire someone that didn't have any training or experience in this field. Either they were desperate or I interviewed well. This job would be the start of a 6 year career in the eye-wear industry. I remember being very nervous when I fit my first pair of glasses and how kind and patient my first customer was. Isn't it funny that I can remember what the frames looked like and that the customer was wearing a suit and tie and had a briefcase? I had many great experiences and met many great people at Sears Optical. Thanks to Facebook, I still keep in touch with many of them. Where are you now, Bob Kowalchuck & Sam Woyawoda?
AOCO (American Optical), Office Manager/Optician (1 yr)
Viscon Contact Lens Company, Secretary/Optician (2 yrs)
I don't recall why I left AOCO but I ended up at a place that manufactured contact lenses. This was also an interesting process that I had the opportunity to learn how to do. They only used me when we had a large number of orders or if one of the lab techs was unable to come to work. This place was owned by Rikke or Cora Dootjes. They HATED each other and working with them was always entertaining! All but one of the lab techs were Vietnamese who spoke little or no English. The other lab tech, David, and I spent a lot of time together trying to "survive" our hostile working conditions! He still works there to this day...



I never knew you working in the eyeglass industry!! I'm learning so much about you!!! Love it!!!
ReplyDelete