Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Ray!



This is my father-in law, Ray and my sister-in-law, Liz. Last night we celebrated their birthdays with some cake and ice cream. Ray turns 49 (again) today and Liz will turn 15 tomorrow. I have known Ray for more than 10 years and have been part of his family for 7. I wonder if he remembers the very first time we met... I will leave it at that!

Ray has been very supportive of Justin and I and our family. Sometimes I even think that he likes me more than he does his son! Ha! Ray is very pro-family and likes to plan activities that involve us all, which I am very grateful for. He also adores his grandkids, Dax and Jace, and I know that he would do anything he could for Jill if I asked him.

Ray earned his master's degree in bio-veterinary science and started a business called Frontier Biomedical. We are very fortunate that Ray is a successful businessman because this has given my family the opportunity to do many things we would not have been able to.

For instance, Ray has a beautiful cabin in Bear Lake. He has made it clear that it is available for us to use when we would like to. Personally, I rather like it when the whole family is there because everyone is so relaxed and fun to be around. Ray also owns a houseboat in Lake Powell. Last year, the whole family went and it was a blast. These are memories of time spent with not only Ray and Shelley, but grandma and grandpa Olsen as well. I think that it is important for my kids to have special memories of time with their grandparents.






Here are a couple of memory burns:

-when Daxton was born and I was still in the hospital, Ray would come and visit VERY EARLY in the morning before he headed off to work. He would sneak into our room, wake me up and ask if he could hold the baby. Then the 3 of us would just sit there in the dark and ponder the miracle of life. Sweet or what?

-before I married Justin, we made a trip to "the ranch".


"The ranch" is the property and house that Justin's grandma grew up in. It is a teeny bit run down but the boys (Justin, Jason and Tim) have many fond memories of running wild and having great man time there.


I think we went for Thanksgiving and because Justin and I weren't married yet, he slept downstairs and I slept upstairs. I slept in the same room as Ray and Shelley or rather, I stayed awake for most of night in the same room as Ray and Shelley. Ray snores like a bear... This should have been fair warning for what I could expect in my own bedroom later on!

-we had an interesting and scary experience on the houseboat this last summer. On our way to find a spot to park the boat, we encountered quite the storm. The waves were big and the houseboat was rocking from side to side. Ray was at the wheel and I remember him yelling for everyone to get on a life jacket. Even though I was scared, I knew he would be able to get us to safety, after all his entire family was on board and I knew how special we all were to him.



I look forward to creating many more memories with my father-in-law. Thanks Ray for your acceptance and for your love and support.

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment