Since I was very young, I have had an "inner voice" that guides, directs and prods me to do things I wouldn't ordinarily do. Since I was very young, I have not consistently listened to my inner voice,which brings me to...
Pet Peeve #6 - Ignoring My Inner Voice
I can't explain it. It's kind of creepy. I see dead people... just kidding! I have an audible voice inside my head that tells me to do things. It usually involves people; although I have been told to "buckle up", right before hitting a patch of ice, or "take your keys", right before I lock myself out of my office. It's pretty random and doesn't seem to talk when I really need it to... Like, where did I put my tax information? As far as people, it tells me to "check the baby", and I walk in to Jace's room at night where he is in much need of an immediate change. Or maybe it will tell me to "check the bathroom", where I will find a couple of students throwing punches. Now you are probably thinking that I can't be ignoring "the voice" too badly if I can recall times that I have listened. Well, let me tell you, I have ignored my fair share of "messages" and only later find out that I shouldn't have and want to kick my own butt.
So today I was talking to a friend of mine. We hadn't talked in nearly a week, which is unusual, but it happens. Last week, I had her on my mind B-A-D. Yah, do you think I called her? Nope, and for no good reason. The inner voice told me to call her... and not just once. Today, after she called me, I find out that she was having a very bad week and probably could have used a break. What could I say? Sorry, but I chose to ignore my inner voice?
Now I could promise that from this day forward, I will never again ignore "the voice". But guess what? The voice told me earlier as I was preparing to write, NOT to make any promises that I could not keep!

I hate it when I ignore mine too.
ReplyDelete