Sunday, March 7, 2010

Eggtremely Delightful, Potentially Painful


Like my brother Matt, I love the Cadbury Creme Egg. Unlike Matt, I am very grateful that they are not available all year or my body would look just like one!

I did a little research (Wikipedia) on the birth of this little Easter pleasure and here are a few interesting facts...
  • originally released in 1971
  • the eggs are manufactured at a rate of 1.5 per day and that is just at one location
  • in the UK, over 200 million are sold during "egg" season, that's 3 per every person living there
  • the original, released in the UK, weighed in at 40 grams and had 171.6 calories
  • today's egg weighs 39 grams, with a calorie count of 170
  • you can get them in a 48 pack!
  • advertising on TV used a bunny that clucked like a chicken... remember?
  • 53% of people bite the top off, lick out the "creme", then eat the chocolate (that is me)
  • 20% just bite straight through
  • 16% scoop out the middle with their finger
The last fact and the one that I intended to blog about, is the lovely little foil wrapping it comes in. There are at least 3 known ways to unwrap a Cadbury Creme Egg.
  1. Delicate Peelers - to achieve a considered, methodical, & subtle eat
  2. Stage Peelers - they unwrap just enough to keep the "creme" off their fingers
  3. Quick Discarders - carelessly rip off the foil because they just can't wait to eat the egg
I have to say that I was #3, and just this morning. However, I didn't get all the foil off and found out the hard way. Apparently the Cadbury Brothers did not have metal fillings because if they had, these little bits of heaven WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN WRAPPED IN FOIL!

Ouch... How could something I love so much, hurt my "fillings" so badly?

It won't keep me from eating them, but I will definitely have to learn to become a "delicate peeler".

1 comment: