Sunday, January 24, 2010

Book Review - stop whining, START LIVING



OK, Dr. Laura is NOT a favorite of mine. Some days I like her (maybe when I am not feeling guilty) and some days I hate her. I will admit though, reading her book and listening to her daily talk show has been entertaining, if nothing else. My friend, Jill, quite likes her and has most of her books. She had this one in her car all highlighted and bookmarked, so I promised I would have it read this weekend if she could just part with it for that long...

Here is some good advise (a lot of it just plain old common sense) from her book:
  • you don't deserve anything you didn't earn
  • if you are a real friend, you will always speak the truth, even at the risk of losing the friendship
  • get over housework, remember there is "life" in your home
  • if someone annoys you, imagine them dead and no longer a part of your life
  • there are people out there that are smarter and better looking than you are, there are also people out there not as smart or as good looking as you are
  • be the kind of woman your husband likes to be around
  • there is no life without disappointment or loss
  • don't compete with your mate, be compassionate
  • love and spend as much time with your kids as possible, create a bond that will last through their rough years
  • "me time" is basically a sorry excuse to demand to not be held responsible or obligated to whatever you are taking "me" time out for
  • you are not the center of the universe
  • for better or for worse means just that, you are in it even while the going gets tough
  • stop telling your boohoo stories over and over and over, it bores people
Essentially, what she is saying is; there are ways to get over life's bad experiences and disappointments. Figure it out, or call her and she will figure it out (with warm fuzzies, NOT) and then just get over it already.

And now thanks to me, you don't have to read this book.

1 comment: