Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Londonderry Mall Memories



Right across the street from my high school in Edmonton was Londonderry Mall. I have several memories of this mall, which I will share with you this post.

1) They had a food court with tons of things to choose from. My friends and I would meet up at lunch or sometimes sluff school to have the BEST fries ever. Now if you know nothing aboot the Canadian way to eat fries eh, let me share. Dark brown gravy and vinegar packets were offered at most restaurants. Yes, the best way to eat a plate of fries was to pour brown gravy, vinegar and ketchup on your fries and then salt and pepper the heck out of them! Yum, I am salivating already... When I get a real craving and much to my family's embarrassment, I will order this at Angie's.



2) There was a store called Woolco in the mall. It was kind of like a Walmart, I guess. Anyway, the mall was 2 stories and Woolco had an escalator. This escalator was the only one I have ever seen that didn't have stairs, it was rubber and flat with little grates in the rubber. I remember one day having high heels on with very thin, pointy heels. I was riding this escalator to the second floor with my friend Mindy. Well, my heels got caught in the grates as I was about to get off. I was literally thrown out of my shoes. My friend just pretended not to notice and kept walking...



3) This is where I got my first real job. I was 15 and I worked full-time. I guess the child labor laws are different in the North. It was a little kiosk in The Bay called Slick Fashion Accessories. I was paid $5 an hour, which 25 years ago was a great wage. Slick is no longer in business but The Bay is still quite the department store in Canada. I always wished I had purchased one on their coats or blankets before I moved to the States.





1 comment:

  1. Fond memories of that mall. The Malt Shop, San Fransisco, Outpost 4... good times!

    ReplyDelete