Monday, June 7, 2010

Viva Las Vegas!

Day One


Jill and I made it to Las Vegas at about 8 pm without incident. I thought we made great time, having left at noon and stopping 4 times to stretch. It took a bit for my ears to stop ringing because our music was so loud, but it was fun to sing and share music. We are staying on the 32nd floor at the New York, New York. The view is beautiful, but I have to find my happy place because I hate heights. Age has brought unexplained and often absurd anxiety.



Align Center



It's 105 degrees today, with blowdryer winds. The air is muggy and has that "Vegas" smell to it. Jill and I are glowing. We walked around for a bit and then decided to eat something. I was feeling a bit shaky, having drank 3 Red Bulls on a near empty stomach. We went in to the Miracle Mile shopping plaza and ate at a quaint little restaurant called the Ocean One Bar & Grill. The waitress sat us at the bar, thinking that Jill was 21! Really?


We walked the strip for the next 4 hours, browsing through the hotel shops and watching people. Jill spotted Samuel L. Jackson… for real! Otherwise, holy crazies, Batman… I haven't been here since 2002 and I don't remember people dressing up in costumes and standing along the strip, but there were many. I asked Jill what it was about Vegas that she liked so much. She said it was the lights and the fact that everyone is here just being themselves. I agree, the lights are pretty.




I am having a hard time sleeping for many reasons:


1 - I am planning my escape when the building starts to shake and sway (I feel like it is already swaying a bit).

2 - I am wondering if I ran full force into the window, if the glass is strong enough to prevent me from falling.

3 - The roller coaster makes the building rumble and the constant screaming, while muffled, is obnoxious.

4 - I am also thinking about the drive tomorrow and getting settled in Anaheim.


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that you and Jill are in Vegas right now! I would love to go there again! Even with the super hot weather, the blowdryer winds and the crazies on the strip...I'd still like to be there! Cool pictures!

    ReplyDelete