Friday, November 6, 2009

The Blind Watching the Blind

Over a year ago, my daughter Jill and I were sitting at the light on 1400 and main. We were making a left hand turn, no doubt on our way to Walmart. To the left of us was Chili's. I look over and see a blind guy with a cane and his blind partner, also with a cane. They are making their way out of the restaurant and walking toward the crosswalk in our direction. Jill and I are both staring at them. They are banging their canes around and not really walking too steady (Chili's does have a full bar after all) and Jill and I cannot take our eyes off them. Anyway, as they approach the crosswalk, a number of horns start honking and I am screaming, "Look out for the blind couple, don't hit the blind couple!" Guess what?

The cars were not honking at the blind couple, they were honking at me because the light had turned green, probably yellow, red and green AGAIN as I sat there, possessed with an unreasoning passion for the blind couple.

1 comment: